About this course
The purpose of BTEC Higher National Diploma in Engineering (Electrical & Electronic) is to develop you as professional, self-reflecting individual able to meet the demands of employers in the electrical and electronic, mechanical business sector and adapt to a constantly changing world. This course is Year 2 entry only and you must have a Pearson BTEC Higher National Certificate (HNC) in Engineering (Electrical and Electronic) (RQF) to enrol.
The objectives of the BTEC Higher National Diploma in Engineering (Electrical and Electronic) are as follows:
- To provide you with opportunities to enter, or progress in, employment within the engineering sector, or progress to higher education qualifications such as degrees and honours degree in engineering or a closely related area, by balancing employability skills with academic attainment.
- To provide you with the core knowledge, skills and techniques that all engineers require, irrespective of future specialism, to achieve high performance in the engineering profession.
- To build a body of specialist knowledge, skills and techniques in order to be successful in a range of careers in engineering at the Associate Engineer or Operational Engineer level.
- To develop the skills necessary to fault find and problem solve in a timely, professional manner, reflecting on their work and contributing to the development of the process and environment they operate within.
- To understand the responsibilities of the engineer within society, and work with integrity, regard for cost, sustainability and the rapid rate of change experienced in world class engineering.
- To provide you with opportunities to make progress towards achieving internationally recognised registration with a Professional Body regulated by the Engineering Council.
You will benefit from an innovative variety of assessment modes. Assessment is mainly via coursework, which can take forms such as essays and reports, individual and group project work, time constrained assessments, research and consultancy projects, presentations, posters, and design of digital materials.
Teaching and Learning
You will be taught through a combination of lectures, seminars and tutorials. You will be attending on Saturdays. You will be taught by experienced lecturers whose knowledge and expertise are matched to the content of the modules on the course.
When not attending lectures or seminars, you will also be expected to study through independent learning. Independent learning plays a vital role in your studies and involves research, such as reading books and journal articles, preparing assignments and presentations, working on individual and group projects. You will have access to a variety of materials to support you in your learning, such as books, journals, lecture notes and a wide range of e-resources.
During one term, you will typically be attending four modules of 15 credits each. A taught 15 credit module consists of approximately 10 hours of Lecture content, 20 hours of seminar content and assessment practice. On top of this, you will be expected to spend around 10 – 15 hours per week on independent learning and completing assessments.
Course Entry Requirements
You will be expected to have at least one of the following:
- A BTEC Level 3 qualification in Engineering (Electrical and Electronic).
- A GCE Advanced Level profile that demonstrates strong performance in a relevant subject or adequate performance in more than one GCE subject.
- Other related Level 3 qualifications
- An Access to Higher Education Certificate awarded by a recognised institution
- An international equivalent of the above.
Plus you will usually have five GCSE subjects including Maths and English Language at grade C/grade 4 or above. We will normally accept Key Skills and Higher Diploma qualifications as the equivalent to GCSEs.
Careers and employability
BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Electrical and Electronic Engineering is a well-established and internationally recognised qualifications offering graduates progression directly to employment. This course will prepare you for a range of electrical and electronic engineering careers, e.g. electrical/electronic design, communication design, manufacture, maintenance and technical services areas of the engineering industry.
You can also study further for a BSc(Hons) Top Up degree in Electrical and Electronic Engineering.
BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Electrical and Electronic Engineering is internationally recognised by employers and professional organisations. The recognition is a way for students to prepare for jobs and careers in the engineering sector through membership of relevant professional bodies.
The development of this qualification has been informed by discussions/relevant publications from the Engineering Council UK (EC (UK)) and the Science, Engineering and Manufacturing Technologies Alliance (SEMTA).
Graduates with relevant work experience qualify for the Technician Membership of the Institution of Engineering and Technology (UK).
What you will cover
|UNIT CODE||UNIT NAME||UNIT LEVEL||UNIT CREDIT|
|HNEE 019||Electrical and Electronic Principles - 4||4||15|
|HNEE 1||Engineering Design - 4||4||15|
|HNEE 2||Engineering Mathematics - 4||4||15|
|HNEE 21||Electrical Machines - 4||4||15|
|HNEE 22||Electronic Circuits and Devices - 4||4||15|
|HNEE 3||Engineering Science - 4||4||15|
|HNEE 4||Managing a Professional Engineering Project - 4||4||15|
|HNEE 5||Renewable Energy - 4||3||15|
|UNIT CODE||UNIT NAME||UNIT LEVEL||UNIT CREDIT|
|HNEE 34||Research Project - 5||5||30|
|HNEE 35||Professional Engineering Management - 5||5||15|
|HNEE 39||Further Mathematics - 5||5||15|
|HNEE 43||Further Electrical Machines - 5||5||15|
|HNEE 44||Industrial Power, Electronics and Storage - 5||5||15|
|HNEE 45||Industrial Systems - 5||5||15|
|HNEE 54||Fundamentals of Control Systems - 5||5||15|
Online Application & Eligibility Assessment
Note: Please scan your supporting documents,
such as a photo, passport, visa, qualifications, references etc before starting
the application form. You will also need access to your e-mail.
Apply Online Directly
Please click here
to proceed with Direct Online
Application (opens in new window)