About this course
The purpose of BTEC Higher National Certificate in Business is to develop you as professional, self-reflecting individual able to meet the demands of employers in the business sector and adapt to a constantly changing world.
The objectives of the BTEC Higher National Certificate in Business are as follows:
- To offer a balance between employability skills and the knowledge essential for students with entrepreneurial, employment or academic aspirations.
- Students will gain a wide range of sector knowledge tied to practical skills gained in research, self-study, directed study and workplace scenarios to meet local or specialist needs.
- To provide you with insight and understanding into international business operations and the opportunities and challenges presented by a globalised market place.
- To offer students the chance of career progression in their chosen field.
- To provide you with education and training for a range of careers in business, including management, administration, human resources and entrepreneurship.
- To equip you with knowledge and understanding of culturally diverse organisations, cross-cultural issues, diversity and values.
- To provide you with opportunities to enter or progress in employment in business, or progress to higher education qualifications such as HND in the business fields.
You will benefit from an innovative variety of assessment modes. Assessment is mainly via coursework, which can take forms such as traditional essays and reports, group project work, research and consultancy projects, presentations, posters, and design of digital materials.
Teaching and Learning
You will be taught through a combination of lectures, seminars and tutorials. You will be taught by experienced lecturers whose knowledge and expertise are matched to the content of the modules on the course.
When not attending lectures or seminars, you will also be expected to study through independent learning. Independent learning plays a vital role in your studies and involves research, such as reading books and journal articles, preparing assignments and presentations, working on individual and group projects. You will have access to a variety of materials to support you in your learning, such as books, journals, lecture notes and a wide range of e-resources.
During one term, you will typically be attending four modules of 15 credits each. A taught 15 credit module consists of approximately 10 hours of Lecture content, 20 hours of seminar content and 10 hours of assessment practice. On top of this, you will be expected to spend around 100 hours on independent learning as a preparation for the module.
Course Entry Requirements
You will be expected to have at least one of the following:
A BTEC Level 3 qualification in Business
- A GCE Advanced Level profile that demonstrates strong performance in a relevant subject or adequate performance in more than one GCE subject.
- Other related Level 3 qualifications
- An Access to Higher Education Certificate awarded by a recognised institution
- An international equivalent of the above.
Plus you will usually have five GCSE subjects including Maths and English Language at grade C or above. We will normally accept Key Skills and Higher Diploma qualifications as the equivalent to GCSEs.
What if I don’t meet any of these entry requirements?
Even if you have few or no formal qualifications, you may be able to gain entry to the course if you have the required communication and learning skills, as well as the knowledge, experience and motivation to succeed.
You will be required to take and English and/or Mathematics skills test if you do not hold GCSE Maths and English qualifications or their recognised equivalent. You may also be interviewed for the course.
You may need to take an Access course or Foundation (Year 0) course first. If you have been away from academic study for a while, these courses are a great way to get you back into studying. Or if you have never studied before, they help you learn new study skills, essential for success in higher education.
Careers and employability
Pearson BTEC Higher National Certificates are well-established and internationally recognised qualifications offering graduates progression directly to employment.
Successful completion of your Higher National Certificate can lead to employment in management, business, sales, buying, finance and administration.
Graduates can also progress to HND Business or HND Business Management awarded by the Pearson Education.
Pearson BTEC qualifications are nationally and internationally recognised by employers and professional organisations.The recognition of the BTEC Higher National Certificate (HNC) is a way for students to prepare for jobs and careers in their chosen field through membership of relevant professional bodies.
Professional bodies such as ACCA, CIMA and CIPS offer exemptions towards their qualifications to graduates of Pearson BTEC Higher National Certificate in Business. Exemptions will be available from various professional bodies in the fields of accounting, management, law and marketing.
What you will cover
|UNIT CODE||UNIT NAME||UNIT LEVEL||UNIT CREDIT|
|HNBS 301||Business and the Business Environment - 4 ||4||15|
|HNBS 302||Marketing Essentials - 4||4||15|
|HNBS 303||Human Resource Management - 4||4||15|
|HNBS 304||Management and Operations - 4||4||15|
|HNBS 305||Management Accounting - 4||4||15|
|HNBS 306||Managing Successful Business Project - 4||4||15|
|HNBS 309||Entrepreneurship and Small Business Management - 4||4||15|
|HNBS 310||Financial Accounting - 4||4||15|
Online Application & Eligibility Assessment
Note: Please scan your supporting documents,
such as a photo, passport, visa, qualifications, references etc before starting
the application form. You will also need access to your e-mail.
Apply Online Directly
Please click here
to proceed with Direct Online
Application (opens in new window)