As the international hospitality industry draws upon a variety of vocational, analytical and management skills, it is essential that the subject develops a balance between these various skills.
You are expected to develop critical analytic skills and formulate strategies that make the best use of available resources. You will develop transferable skills through a variety of real world learning activities and module assessments.
This course offers you:
- the knowledge and skills you'll need for a successful career in the hospitality industry
- the access to membership of the Educational Membership Scheme of the Institute of Hospitality, giving you great opportunities to network and make industry contacts.
- all the extra benefits from getting recognised industry membership from the Institute of Hospitality.
- tutors with industry experience within different areas
- support from your personal tutor and other staff throughout your course
- the chance to continue studying and gain a master’s degree.
Our staff and students represent a wide diversity. This enables you to broaden your perspectives, as we talk about own life experiences in the classroom.
You will be taught using demonstrations, lectures and tutorial, developing skills such as brand awareness, recognition and understanding your market.
The programme aims to produce graduates with:
- Abilities to evaluate and apply vocationally relevant concepts associated with the operational and strategic management of financial, human and physical resources within an international hospitality management context.
- Understandings of and ability to apply concepts associated with the allocation of available resources within a global hospitality business.
- A range of intellectual, analytical and managerial skills and knowledge appropriate for obtaining positions in the contemporary service sector.
- The transferable skills that will empower them to pursue other career options and to adapt to changing patterns of employment.
Students who undertake the BA International Hospitality Management will be able to pursue a range of exciting careers within this sector. A significant number of University of Derby students attain a good degree and have gone on to management positions in the industry, ranging from private 4 star properties to a 5 star hotel resort. Some have become entrepreneurs and established their own thriving businesses
This programme also provides a foundation for further study at postgraduate level on Postgraduate Diploma in Hospitality and Tourism Management or Strategic Management or a relevant master's degree.
Local and regional employers are represented via employer forums held at the University of Derby which are structured to encourage views on the design, content and delivery of hospitality programmes.
The University of Derby works closely with local, national and international employers such as the Crieff Hydro, Gleneagles, Engineers Country Club, USA, White Manor Country Club USA, Carnegie Club (Skibo Castle), Hilton International, and Marriott.
Support is established using a university online e-recruitment portal, a method of tracking volunteering and work placements, academic engagement in conferences and generic and subject specialist skills. There are also opportunities to participate in extra training courses run by external providers. Both these will enhance students’ employability and link to the programme curriculum. You will be further supported by a personal tutor via your professional and academic development modules, who ensures that timely guidance and advice is available throughout the degree programme.
|UNIT CODE||UNIT NAME||UNIT LEVEL||UNIT CREDIT|
|6HO 501||Contemporary Issues||6||20|
|6HO 506||Managing Cultural Issues in Hospitality||6||20|
|6HO 507||Strategic Management||6||20|
|6HO 510||International Resort Management||6||20|
|6HO 997||Independent Study (Double Module)||6||40|
Note: Before you apply, please make sure you have access to your email, prepared document scans (picture, passport, other supporting documents)
Please click here to proceed with Online Application (opens in new window)